Dependent Child Sponsorship

Bring your children to Canada permanently

What is a Dependent Child?

The definition of ‘dependent child’ for immigration purposes is:
  • Under 22 years old and they do not have a spouse or common law partner
  • Over 22 years old and not financially independent due to a mental/physical condition, and have depended on financial support from parents/guardians since before 22

A dependent child is also:

  1. The biological children of the sponsor or sponsor’s spouse; or
  2. Adopted by the sponsor or their spouse in order to be sponsored

NOTE: So long as the application is submitted before your child(ren) turns 22 years old, the application age will be ‘locked-in’ no matter the processing time

Dependent Child Sponsorship

Financial Support

Generally, there is no income require to sponsor your dependent child. However, you must demonstrate that you are financially capable of providing for your child.

Can I Sponsor a Dependent child?

  • Over 18 years old
  • Citizen or permanent resident of Canada, and currently live in the country
  • Not receiving social assistance from public funds (disabilities accepted)
  • No criminal convictions relating to violence
  • Must undertake to provide for the financial, medical, and other needs of your depdent child

NOTE: If your dependent child(ren) has any children, then the sponsor must meet a minimum income requirement depending on the size of your family

Validity of the Relationship

To sponsor your dependent child(ren), you must demonstrate the validity of the relationship. This is important, as numerous international treaties and Canadian criminal law regulate the taking of children across international borders

Relationship with Child

The sponsor must show that they have a relationship with the child or children. Proof of the relationship can include, but is not limited to, the birth certificate showing the name of the sponsor, or, if the child was adopted, an adoption certificate. At Visapath, our experienced representatives can examine these documents, and recommend other documents that may strengthen the application.

Non-Accompanying Parent

If one of your parents will not accompany you to Canada, your non-accompanying parent must sign a declaration, giving permission to the child to leave the country to live with the sponsoring parent in Canada

Have a Question?

How We Can Help

At VisaPath, our representatives are highly successful with child
sponsorship applications.
Sponsoring your dependent child(ren) is very exciting, but also stressful and time consuming forthose who have never sponsored a child before. At VisaPath, we guide you through each step of the process to ensure you compile a strong and convincing

To get started, contact us at 416-477-2570 to schedule a

VisaPath Immigraiton Law Firm logo Large

To get started, call

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the minimum necessary income (MNI)?

There is no financial requirement to sponsor your dependent child but you do need to prove that you have enough finances to support their basic needs. When a sponsor wants to bring their child to Canada they must sign an undertaking agreement that they will provide financial support for that child.

There is an income requirement if the dependent child you plan to sponsor has a dependent child of their own.

Can you sponsor someone who is not your biological child?

Yes there are two types of child sponsorship in which a sponsor who is not biologically the parent of the child can sponsor them to Canada.

A family sponsorship application through spousal or common law or conjugal can include the dependent children. You must sponsor your spouse/common law/conjugal partner at the same time as their dependent child.

Another type of sponsorship is intercountry adoption. This is a two steps process that consists of the adoption process and the immigration process. The immigration process has two parts, the sponsorship and then the application for permanent residency for the child.

I am a Canadian Citizen, and I have conceived a child abroad does that child automatically become a Canadian Citizen?

You may be eligible to get a citizenship certificate for children born outside of Canada to Canadian parents. This is considered citizenship by descent. Keep in mind that this route for Canadian citizenship is limited to first generation born outside of Canada. This means that if you were not a Canadian Citizen by April 2009 and were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent you do not qualify for Canadian citizenship under this route.