Record Suspension

Convicted of an Offense in Canada?
We can help you obtain a record suspension and
permanently resolve your criminal inadmissibility troubles.

What is a Record Suspension?

A record suspension erases certain Canadian criminal convictions from the Canadian Police Information Centre. This process was previously known as a pardon.

Obtaining a record suspension can remove many barriers for people, including access to employment and even those planning to become a sponsor.

When Can You Apply?

Anyone applying for a record suspension must have completed all components of their sentence (ex. probation, fines, community service)

After completing your sentence, you must also follow a waiting period before applying, depending on the type of offense you were convicted of.

  • Summary Offense(s) – 5 years after completion
  • Indictable Offense(s) – 10 years after completion

What are the Limits of a Record Suspension

Record suspensions are not the cure for all criminal convictions. There are limitations:

  • A record suspension does not apply to sexual offenses related to children
  • A record suspension does not apply if you were convicted of 4 or more “indictable” offenses and each of those offenses resulted in a prison sentence of at least 2 years
check mark blue

A record suspension does not erase a conviction. It sets it aside.

This means that the court still has a “non-public” record of your conviction. The good news is that you are free to declare that you have never been convicted of a criminal offense.

check mark blue

A record suspension may not solve your inaudibility problems in other countries

Other countries have their own approach to criminal law which may differ from Canada. This means that a Canadian record suspension may not apply to other countries when applying for a visa.

Temporary Resident Permit Application
check mark blue

Sex Offenses are flagged

If you were convicted of a crime that was sexual in nature (not involving children), the Canadian Police Information Center will keep a record of your offense. It will only be used if you apply for occupations in the vulnerable sector area.

Have a Question?

How VisaPath Can Help

At Visa Path, our representatives are experience in humanitarian and compassionate application in all areas of immigration.

We can guide you through each step of the process, ensuring you compile a strong and convincing application which persuades the officer in showing compassion towards your situation.

To get started, contact VisaPath at 416-477-2570 to schedule a consultation

VisaPath Immigraiton Law Firm logo Large

To get started, call

Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I am applying for a citizenship application but I got a criminal record?

If you have received a criminal conviction inside of Canada than you may be eligible to apply for a pardon, formerly known as a record suspension. This application allows people who have been convicted of a criminal offence and have completed their sentence to demonstrate that they are still law-abiding citizens. 

The federal government of Canada issue a pardon if the citizen is able to demonstrate remorse for his offence that the individual is still an upright citizen. The Parole board of Canada works with the federal government to grant or refuse pardon request.

What are my chances of getting a pardon?

It is important to assess the nature of the offence or offences. All factors play into your chances of getting a pardon. Factors such as what was the offence/s, what was my sentence, when did I complete my sentence, did I reoffend after my first offence, etc. then you would need to wait either ten or five years from the date you completed your sentence to see if you will be granted a pardon. 

To better your chances at getting a pardon you will need to provide documentation of good conduct.

What if my charges were dismissed or withdrawn, do I still need to apply for a pardon?

Even if your charges were withdrawn or dismissed, your fingerprints will still show your criminal record and it will still demonstrate that you were involved in some sort of criminal activity. You may be able to destroy that record but if you were found guilty of the offence than you will need to apply for a pardon.